Social Content Intern (Summer 2021)
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
As our Social Content Intern, you will leverage our student-focused social media platforms (Instagram, TikTok) to build brand awareness, grow our social following, and drive engagement amongst our audiences. You’ll work closely with internal teams to act as the face and voice of our business, and infuse our tone throughout our social media platforms. You will interact daily with our social communities and play a key role in the development of social media strategies and content.
- Work alongside the Social & Editorial Manager to help execute weekly social media strategies — including shooting and starring in social videos!
- Assist in the growth of the brand through existing student-facing social media platforms (Instagram, TikTok)
- Develop new ideas and strategies for expansion on other social media platforms (Clubhouse, YouTube, Snapchat)
- Interact with followers by communicating and answering questions through the company's social pages
- Liaise with students and recent graduates to coordinate user-generated content to support Handshake’s focus on elevating student voices
- Provide creative insight into topics to be included in monthly content calendars
- Deliver feedback on content performance
- Collaborate with the Student Marketing team, attend relevant meetings, and understand how social fits into broader marketing strategy and goals
- Majoring in business, marketing, journalism, advertising, public relations, or experience in a communications or marketing-related field
- Some social media management experience
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Basic understanding of social media analytics
- Excellent attention to detail and a high motivation to learn
- Comfortable working with Google Workspace and Slack
- Entry-level understanding of marketing strategy
- Ability to work 25 hours per week
- Paid Internship: We compensate you for your time.
- Goodies: Hardware and Software provided.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled remote team events.
- Great team: Working with driven, fun, and kind people who are committed to making a difference!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Take a look at Handshake’s Instagram — and give us a follow! — to see what we’re currently doing to reach our student audience. Please submit your application via Handshake. When doing so, please also include the following in lieu of a cover letter:
- A few ideas that you think could help launch Handshake’s student-focused social media content to the next level by driving engagement and sharing. (Bullet points are great!)
- Film and post one TikTok or Reels video that you think will help grab other students’ attention and drive them to follow Handshake, and provide a short explainer about your process. (Please use #HireMeHandshake and tag @joinhandshake when posting, and include the post link with your application materials. A short paragraph as your explainer is perfect!)
- Feel free to use your video caption creatively — let us know why you’d be such a great fit for this role!
- One influencer who you think could vibe with:
- Handshake’s mission to democratize opportunity
- Our brand style and tone
- Our target audience of college students and recent graduates
that you think could help take our social presence to the next level. (1-2 sentences is fine!)